Sponge city Kajiado: The overarching goal of the programme is to alleviate water scarcity in Kajiado Town through the creation of a sponge city. A sponge city holds, cleans and drains water in a natural way using measures that fall broadly under the 3R approach. A sponge city also creatively adjusts the environmental flows to increase investment in sustainable water and decrease pollution of the towns resource.
Goals and results
- Goal is to have urban recharge established as a proven concept and method, divided in two results (outcomes):
- The sponge city model is known, applied, promoted and brought to scale: proof of concept
- The people of Kajiado have an increased availability of good quality, affordable water.
Main activities in the inception phase:
- Pilots (showing the feasibility of the approach), mapping and assessments (of hydrogeology, drainage, sanitation, as well as the local social and governmental environment)
- Verification, holistic planning (based on pilot results, mapping and assessments), agreements with partners and stakeholders, mobilization of community groups
In the implementation phase:
- establishment of recharge zones / parks,
- construction of roof water tanks and water infiltration at household level,
- constructions of weirs, ponds, plugs,
- Capacity development of masons (in building affordable roof water harvesting tanks)
- Strategy formulation on water abstraction at alternative sites (with rechargeable water)
- Strategy formulation on water quality and sanitation: reducing infiltration of sewage and other pollutions like rubbish blocking drains, construction of wetlands
- Monitoring and evaluation (focusing on environmental, social, technical and business aspects), communication (both internally and externally)