Testing the business case for rainwater harvesting installations and selling its stored (rain)water through local entrepreneurs in Uganda.
- The project aims to test and prove a business case whereby money either “collected from selling water” or “saved as a result of not-buying water” is used to finance the construction of rainwater harvesting installations. The installations include a ferro-cement tank, a first flush device for filtration, water meters, and a tap-stand, constructed by the URWA technical team.
- The project targets trading centres that have no piped water and few alternative sources of clean water. In these trading centres households and businesses (e.g. schools, shops, and restaurants) depend on open wells during the rainy season, springs and boreholes that are often located far away from the trading centres. In some places, boreholes constantly break down and it takes long to mobilize for materials to repair them. As a result, water vendors collect water from the available sources and then sell it to households and businesses.
- The pilot project is implemented in 2 sub counties (Malongo and Ndagwe) of Lwengo District. The local counterparts of this project are the Entrepreneurs, Lwengo NGO forum, Lwengo District Local Government and the sub county Officials. Their main role was to mobilize communities and link URWA to them. They also played a big role in the introduction of the rainwater for sale concept to their fellow leaders and the communities.
- 4 introductory meetings were held to introduce the project idea to key stakeholders in the project area.
- Review of applications and confirmation of entrepreneurs was organized: A total of 26 applications were received, some more complete than the others in terms of information based on which entrepreneur’s suitability in response to the minimum requirements for participation (as indicated in the “entrepreneur assessment framework”) could be assessed.
- Signing of MoU’s has been realized with regards to the loan agreement.
- RWH systems have been built in the regions mentioned and handed over to the entrepreneurs, after receiving training on maintenance and operation.
- Training has been given on RWH loan portfolio management and first repayments have been received.